About the Center for Sustainable Energy®
Center for Sustainable Energy (CSE) is an independent, mission-driven nonprofit organization with offices in San Diego, Oakland, Los Angeles and Boston. We accelerate the adoption of clean and efficient energy solutions via program administration, technical assistance, policy innovation, and other forms of market facilitation. We are uniquely positioned and engaged with a variety of stakeholders and market actors, including policy-makers, state and federal agencies, regional and local governments, utilities, business and civic leaders, and individuals in both the general market and equity sectors. Our technical areas of focus include distributed energy resources (renewable energy, energy efficiency, energy storage, fuel cells, combined heat and power) and clean transportation.
The Field Inspector is responsible for performing onsite visual inspections and offsite virtual inspections of solar photovoltaic (PV) installations throughout Southern California for CSE’s Distributed Energy Resources (DER) Incentive Programs. This role requires approximately 80% travel and 20% in-office time each workweek, covering onsite and virtual inspections in addition to performing necessary administrative duties necessary for the inspection process. The Field Inspector provides quality assurance for the Programs served by confirming onsite PV system components and design parameters align with program expectations. This role requires a self-motivated and highly organized individual that is able to adapt to various program needs ranging from customer engagement to technical troubleshooting to timely, accurate and efficient reporting and tracking. In addition to these traits, this individual is motivated by CSE’s mission to accelerate the transition to a sustainable world powered by clean energy.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
The DER Field Inspector will:
- Perform onsite inspections of residential, commercial, and multifamily solar PV installations across various counties in Southern California.
- Including, but not be limited to, San Diego, Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside, Ventura and Los Angeles Counties
- Perform offsite virtual inspections of residential, commercial, and multifamily solar PV installations across CSE’s DER programs
- Use visual examination procedures to inspect and assess compliance with plans and specifications required by the program, including verification of onsite system components and design parameters.
- Engage with Customers and/or PV installers to coordinate, schedule and confirm onsite PV inspections, using template-based and customized scripts and/or emails.
- Communicate professionally and accurately with program participants, with timely response times.
- Maintain inspection files and logs including inspection reports, correspondence and mileage records.
- Maintain and update project information and inspection results in tracking systems.
- Employ efficient time management skills to accommodate weekly scheduling responsibilities, travel time, inspection variables and reporting deliverable due dates.
- Review and analyze inspection results to define the results scenario, based on program tolerances.
- Interact with contractors, engineers, architects, property owners and others engaged in projects regarding progress, scheduling, project problems, plan interpretation, specification interpretation, and field assessments.
- Respond to questions and requests for information regarding inspection results.
- Keep interested parties informed of changes or new developments and ensure that they receive clear communications.
- Act as an effective communications link and reliable source of information for others.
- Develop and lead workshops on inspection compliance, and other industry related topics, for solar installers and property owners.
- Coordinate with Program staff on all inspection related matters.
- Provide similar support services for other CSE programs, as needed.
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Familiarity with electrical wiring in residential or commercial applications
- Understanding of photovoltaic technologies, equipment, design approaches, shade analysis techniques and other factors effecting system performance
- Experience in mechanical installations, general construction and ladder work as well as knowledge of construction site safety requirements
- Experience working on various roof tops (composite shingle, stucco, wood, concrete, clay tile, etc.)
- Confident judgment when working with fragile roofing materials, in terms of safety and preserving the integrity
- Strong interpersonal skills and customer service experience with the ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with a diverse range of people and job functions
- A disciplined, self-motivated, and proactive work style, and works with minimal supervision.
- Extremely detail oriented and meticulous with paperwork
- Ability to solve problems and make decisions effectively, both independently and collaboratively
- Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems
- Ability to maintain a good working relationship with all co-workers, vendors, clients and the public and to use good judgment in recognizing scope of authority
- Demonstrated ability to use current technology effectively and acquire new technology skills
- Demonstrated project management skills and ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks, and to work efficiently amidst distractions with shifting priorities and schedules
- Effective organizational and time-management skills; assess needs, identify objectives and collect and record relevant information; prioritize actions that must occur and establish communication with affected parties
- Demonstrated high-level of abilities of various computer software programs and fluency in using standard office software packages such as MS Office: Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Knowledge of the Renewable Energy marketplace and industry
- 1-2 years exposure to construction, electrical and plumbing issues
- National Association of Board Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) certified, or similar solar introductory and/or installation certification
- Experience in developing and offering workshops, training opportunities and/or teaching
- High school diploma required
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 1 -3 years of related experience
Licenses, Certificates or Registrations:
- Valid driver’s license; insurable in state of residence and a satisfactory driving record
- Must own a licensed and registered vehicle and be willing to use it for work-related purposes
- Mileage reimbursement will be provided using the applicable federal rates
- Approximately 80% travel
- Approximately 20% office (Los Angeles office)
- Will be requested to visit CSE Headquarters in San Diego, as needed
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The candidate must have:
- Manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer keyboard and other office equipment.
- Ability to lift up to 75 lbs.
- Ability to drive long distances and spend a significant amount of time sitting and driving.
- Ability to climb ladders up to three stories and spending a significant amount of time standing and walking around.
- Ability to lift, place, and remove/replace inspection equipment and supplies into and out of vehicles and homes
- Flexibility to work some evenings and weekends or work longer hours to meet deadlines.
CSE is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.